Thursday, November 12, 2009

Breaking The Cycle

My friend Mike Fezzey, president and general manager of WJR Radio in Detroit tells a story.

I have a new neighbor. He just moved here from Chicago and he's excited about the move. So my neighbor goes to the dry cleaner and tells the woman at the counter that he just moved here. "Why would you do that?" she says. He goes to the supermarket and the same thing happens.
Here's a guy who relocated his business and employees to Michigan to take advantage of our skilled workforce, low cost-of-living, quality healthcare system and world-class educational institutions. And the very citizens of his new community are asking him why he came here. So Mike got fed up. And rightly so. That's why he's using his radio station to launch a bold initiative called Breaking the Cycle.

Breaking the Cycle will recognize Detroiters who are doing something to break the chain of negatives about Detroit. These are individuals who otherwise wouldn't be recognized for their efforts. I'm behind this initiative 100%. If we don't have internal champions for the Detroit Metro area, how can we expect anyone to be an external champion.

Whenever the chain comes off my bike I think that fixing the cycle is hard. What's really hard is breaking the cycle of negativism that surrounds Detroit. But I have my helmet on and am along for the uphill ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment